Tier 1 of the Points Based System incorporates several current and former immigration categories designed for individuals and their families to live and work in the UK.
Applicants can qualify within the Tier 1 investor category if:
· they have access to £1m that is disposable in a financial institution or alternatively £2m in personal assets and £1m by way of a loan;
· they intend to invest a minimum of £750,000 in the UK, within three months of arrival into UK Government bonds, share or loan capital in active and trading UK registered companies (but not companies primarily engaged in property investment) after entering the UK,
· the balance is maintained in assets within the UK.
Tier 1 investor visa holders are able to work in the UK with few restrictions. They are not obliged to pass an English Language Test (although would need to demonstrate Knowledge of Life and Language in the UK if applying for settlement). It is possible to qualify for indefinite leave to remain in the UK in as little as two or three years, rather than the usual five, if a sufficiently large investment has been made.
Problems with Tier 1 investor applications
Some issues which arise in respect of Tier 1 investor applications include:
· demonstrating that the money exists and is under the control of the applicant. This is one of the major difficulties applicants face in making such applications, as it may not always be possible to demonstrate that the funds have been held for the previous three months and would be readily disposable in the UK;
· qualifying for an extension of stay if the value of the investment decreases in the period between the initial visa and the time of extension;
· meeting all the criteria for indefinite leave to remain and potential difficulty if applicants do not meet the Knowledge of English criteria.
We can prepare all necessary documents to make the application, in conjunction with expert financial advisers who are able to advise on the investment itself.